Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Conversation 14: Jonathan Gould

Hi all! Welcome back, happy to have you visit!

My guest today is author Jonathan Gould.



Welcome, Jonathan! Please tell us a little about yourself.


In a few paragraphs, please describe who you are and what you do (short bio).


I’m an Australian-born, Melbourne-based writer. My imagination generally runs towards the odd and absurd, and this usually comes out in the stories I write. I’ve written stories to amuse kids and stories to amuse adults, but mostly I just write stories to amuse myself (and if I amuse anyone else, that’s a lucky fringe benefit).


When I’m not writing, I spend far too much time developing online education courses (I call it my paid hobby) and entertaining (irritating? annoying?) my family.

Q1: Have you ever taken a trip on the spur of the moment? Or do you like to plan everything out well in advance?

JG: I’m hopelessly anal when it comes to things like travelling. Every detail has to be mapped out. Everything I do and everything I see has to be planned down to the last second. If I was ever to take a trip on the spur of the moment, it would have to involve lots of preparation to ensure that when that spur of the moment is reached, I make an utterly well-considered spontaneous decision.

Q2: What is your favorite way to travel?

JG: I suspect the answer would just be “getting there”. I’d be dead happy when they finally invent those Star Trek “beam me up” machines. I really loath flying and don’t care at all for long drives. I used to have a bit of a soft spot for trains, but that was before I got a job that had me travelling inter-city almost every day.

Q3: Describe the fanciest meal you’ve ever had. Was it enough? Or did you want to, say, go out for burgers afterward?

JG: I am a man of simple tastes. I’m also really fussy. Between the two of them, gourmet food is kind of lost on me. I suspect the fanciest meal I’ve ever had was at some posh restaurant my family dragged me to, and which I’ve completely forgotten about afterwards. Give me a pizza or a curry (Thai or Indian, they’re both just as good) and I’ll be happy.

Q4: Do you think "true love" exists? Or do you believe it’s possible to find "true love" with more than one person in a lifetime?

JG: I definitely think love exists. And if it exists, then it must be true, so I suppose the answer is yes. And I definitely think you can find it with more than one person in a lifetime (though preferably not at the same time). I actually find the idea of “the one” to be a bit absurd. What if “the one” lives on the other side of the world, or died 200 years ago, or hasn’t even been born yet? Does that mean you’ll never achieve true happiness? I don’t think so.

Q5: *bonus question for everyone* Do you collect anything? If so, why?

JG: I used to be a dedicated collector of just about anything. Stamps, little figurines, football cards, Mad Magazines, records/CDs. You name it and I’d be collecting it. I don’t really collect anything anymore. I try to just live my life and enjoy experiences as they occur. Maybe it’s just my way of trying to rebel against my default anal nature.

~*~
I am totally with you on the transporters, Jonathan, I would be happier to have my molecules scrambled than to have to fly commercial!
Thank you so much for being my guest today!
You can find out more about Jonathan Gould and his writing by visiting his website: http://www.jonathangouldwriter.com


See you next time!