Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Conversation 20: Vanessa de Largie

Welcome back to Clockwork Conversations! I am fortunate to have as my guest today award winning actress and author Vanessa de Largie.
 
Her bestselling book on the subject of domestic violence, Don’t Hit Me! is in the process of being republished by Booktrope. She has also penned a memoir and a book of poetry, among other things. Quite amazing!



Welcome, Vanessa! Before we begin, please tell us a little bit more about yourself.

VdL: I am an actress and author based in Australia. I'm an advocate for women's issues and a proud feminist.

Q1: You grew up in Perth before moving to Melbourne to further your acting career. Is life drastically different in Melbourne than in Perth?  

VdL: Perth is the most isolated city in the world. The lifestyle there is very laid-back and beachy. The continual sunshine is lovely but it lacks culture artistically. To further one's self in the arts, it's better to be in the eastern states. I love Melbourne. I arrived here on a Greyhound bus in 2000, knowing no-one. Yet fifteen years later, I'm still here. Melbourne is cosmopolitan - lots of cuisines, cultures, wine bars and a buzzing art culture. It's weather is four seasons in one day which suits my spontaneous nature.

Q2: Reading your website, it appears that you have done quite a bit of voice-over work. How does that compare with regular acting jobs? Do you find it easier, or more challenging? 

VdL: I use to get a lot of voice over work for radio commercials. I don't get so much these days, which saddens me. Perhaps my focus is elsewhere? I love landing a voiceover gig. Standing in a small room in front of a microphone, being directed on tone and pace. Voice over work is very good training for the actor because one uses their voice so much in the medium. Voice over work teaches you how to fine-tune your voice - like an instrument.

Q3: What has been the most emotionally satisfying part of your journey as an artist so far? 

VdL: I don't think I've landed that perfect role yet. But I guess playing 'X' (the lead vampire) in 'Nocturne Night of The Vampire', distributed worldwide by TROMA would be my most treasured experience.  It was my first lead role in a feature film. I was 29 years old at the time. The film traveled through film festivals in Europe and I received a 'Best Female Actor' Award for the role. It was an intense shoot, where I played a vampire that was over 150 years old. 

Q4: If you could play any role ever written for stage or screen, which one would you choose, and why? 

VdL: Ooh, that's an easy one!  Blanche DuBois in 'Streetcar Named Desire'. So dramatic! I've watched Jessica Lange & Vivien Leigh play the role in the film. But I am yet to see a theatre production of it.  Hopefully I'll get to play her one day. It's on my bucket list.

Q5: *bonus question for everyone* Do you collect anything? If so, why?

VdL: I am a huge Marilyn Monroe collector.....(and old stars in general.) I also have a lot of clothes from the 40's/50's era, which is a collection within itself.

~*~

Oh, I bet your closet is a treasure trove! I love 40s era clothing… so elegant!

I feel like I’ve learned so much about you today, thank you for joining me.

If you would like to learn more about Vanessa’s books, her acting career, and more, you can visit her website at: www.vanessadelargie.net (Just so you know before you click the link: Vanessa’s books cover mature subject matter/adult themes, and so does her website.)