Friday, June 26, 2015

Conversation 37: Dana Leipold

Greetings all, and welcome back to Clockwork Conversations, where writers talk about almost everything... except writing!

Today I am pleased to welcome Dana Leipold to the blog. 



Here is a little information about our guest to get us started:

~*~

Dana Leipold is an author and member of the Association of Independent Authors. Her debut novel, Burnt Edges, depicts the unwavering resilience of a young woman in the face of family violence and abuse. She has self-published two other books: a collection of limericks in Dr. Seuss-style for adults entitled, Stupid Poetry: The Ultimate Collection of Sublime and Ridiculous Poems, and a non-fiction book entitled, The Power of Writing Well: Write Well. Change the World. Leipold lives with her husband and two children in the San Francisco Bay Area. 

~*~

Q1: On your website you mention that you enjoy Yoga. When did you begin doing Yoga, and what does it add to your life?




DL: I started practicing yoga in earnest in 2000 when a friend of mine and I went to this amazing yoga retreat through the White Lotus Yoga Foundation in Santa Barbara, California.

 

Yoga helps me focus and get into my body when often I’m in my head. I feel like I’m a better writer and a better person whenever I consistently practice yoga.
 

Q2: What advice would you have for someone who wanted to try Yoga but felt overwhelmed?

 

DL: Learn more about it. Google it. Read books. Watch videos. Take a beginner’s class…in fact, take a lot because yoga can be practiced in many different ways.
 

I was like a lot of Westerners who just thought yoga was about flexibility and weird positions when I first started practicing. Yoga is so much more than that! To me, it is a way of living that focuses on wellness and integrating mind, body, and spirit. And it’s NOT a religion or a cult (again, I used to think this.)
 

Q3: When you're not reading, writing, or doing Yoga, what would we most likely find you doing in your leisure time?

 

DL: Hiking with my family. Playing with my kids. Doing puzzles (I LOVE PUZZLES!). Eating (I LOVE FOOD!).
 

Q4: What non-writing related goal do you hope to achieve in the next five years?

 

DL: I’m starting to learn more about Zen, from the Zen Habits blog. I can see why it’s one of the most popular blog in the world. I think we could all benefit from simplifying our lives.
 

In five years, I hope to slow down, do less, and enjoy life more. I get caught up in this crazy, fast-paced life that’s always connected and never allows for down time. It’s high time to stop and smell the roses!
 

Q5: *bonus question for everyone* Do you collect anything? If so, why?

 

DL: Yes! I absolutely adore Talavera pottery. It is hand-painted Mexican pottery with beautiful details and color. There’s just something lively and passionate about it that I really gravitate toward. I have many pieces in my home and want to collect more!  

Thank you so much, Dana, for being my guest today! I especially appreciated your words about it being "high time to stop and smell the roses!" because I couldn't agree more! Thank you for sharing your outlook and interests with us!


You can learn more about Dana Leipold by visiting her at: www.danaleipold.com





 
See you all next time!