Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Conversation 27: Author Taylor Hondos

Hello all and welcome back to Clockwork Conversations! It is my pleasure today to introduce you to a lovely and enthusiastic author: Taylor Hondos!


Before we dive into the interview, here is a little bit about Taylor and her writing:


Taylor Hondos is an author who is currently working to republish her first book in The Antidote Trilogy, "The Antidote (The Antidote #1)." She began studying at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro in 2013 and is working to get a degree in English. She enjoys reading and writing instead of doing her homework. She is currently working on "The Prospect (The Antidote #2)" as well as "The Corruption (The Antidote #3).”

Q1: As a fan and writer of Science Fiction I have to ask you, what is your favorite Sci-fi series of all time? Why is it your favorite?

TH: That is a tough question for me because I love so many series. For example, I love the Divergent series, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight Saga and the list goes on and on but I have recently come to love the Lux Series. So as of right now, my favorite Science Fiction series is the Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It reminded me of The Twilight Saga, which might turn some people away from the series, but it was everything you could ask for in a series. It is my favorite because it reminds me of a series I already love while giving me something I have never read before. It is sometimes hard to come across a new series that is different but Jennifer L. Armentrout gave all other series a run for their money.


Q2: Browsing around your blog, I noticed you like to write poetry. Do you have a favorite poet, and what is it about their work that appeals to you most?

TH: I love to write poetry. It is actually where my love for writing came from. When I was young, I would write some poems that could potentially be song lyrics. My favorite poet is Sylvia Plath. I know she's very dark but she is absolutely incredible in her writing. I have loved her since I was in high school and I think that she knows how to capture her audience. The reason I love her so much is because I would love to move people with my writing as she moves me. She can move me to appreciate life as crazy as that sounds. My all-time favorite quote by Sylvia Plath is: "I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart: I am, I am, I am," which is from "The Bell Jar." Even that quote inspires me to remember that even if things a rough, I am alive and there is a reason behind it. 

Q3: Dream time: Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

TH: In five years, I see myself owning a bookstore while being an author at the same time. I have always wanted to work in a bookstore and recently I decided I wanted to run one. I would love to see my own books in a bookstore one day as well. My all-time goal is that I would love to be on a Bestseller list but that might take more years than just five. If I never were to reach a Bestseller list, it wouldn't even matter if I somehow made a difference in a reader's life as John Green or Stephen Chbosky has done for me. I hope to see myself succeeding in my writing. Success to me would be connecting with new readers and impacting reader's lives as books always impact me. 

Q4: What is the most encouraging/inspiring thing anyone has ever said to you, or that you have read in a book/seen somewhere? Something that really touched your heart?

TH: Many quotes touch my heart but there is one quote that has always stuck with me even if it is really long, I go back and read it to myself. My favorite book of all time is "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, which this quote is from. The quote goes: “So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” I have looked at this so many times. It reminds me that no matter what happens to a person they can bounce back from it. It doesn't matter where you come from, it is where you go and how you harness that pain to move forward and better yourself. The book itself is the most inspiring book I have ever read to me. It is beautiful and is filled with quotes that make you think, forgive yourself and move back things that are out of our control. 

Q5: *bonus question for everyone* Do you collect anything? If so, why?

TH: I collect movie tickets! Every Tuesday in High School, I went to the movies with my mother. I began a collection so that one day I could put all my tickets in my scrapbook. I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to tickets! I have tickets all the way from 2010, which is when I started collecting. They carry memories of the movies I saw with my family. (: 

Thank you very much, Taylor, for being my guest today on Clockwork Conversations!

You can read more about Taylor and her writing by visiting her at: http://tayloralexish.blogspot.com

See you all on Friday for the next installment in our June interview extravaganza!