Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Conversation 12: Michael G. Munz

Greetings, everyone! Welcome back, so happy to have you with me today, as I have a great chat with author Michael G. Munz! 

First, a little bit about Mr. Munz...


~*~

An award-winning writer of speculative fiction, Michael G. Munz is also fascinated with Greek mythology. Michael also possesses what most "normal" people would likely deem far too much familiarity with a wide range of geek culture, though he prefers the term geek-bard: a jack of all geek-trades, but master of none. Or mostly none. There are exceptions. He dwells in Seattle where he continues his quest to write the most entertaining novel known to humankind and find a really fantastic clam linguini.

Michael's latest book, the epic comedic fantasy Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, was published from Booktrope last July to excellent reviews.


~*~

Q1: Have you ever tried or would you ever want to try skydiving?
 

MGM: I grew up near Snohomish, Washington, which has both a small airport and a lot of farmland, leading it to be one of the more well-known skydiving venues in the area. I've often considered it, but I've yet to take the leap. I've often thought that, given the choice between skydiving and bungee-jumping, I'd choose skydiving in a heartbeat. It feels like skydiving would involve the ground being a more distant issue, so the terror-to-enjoyment ratio would be far more favorable.

Q2: You're at a party and no one is talking. Do you A) Make a remark about the weather to try to get people talking, B) Run for the refreshment table and hope people are talking there C) Send an emergency text to a friend/significant other in the room to come rescue you D) Slip out early and hope no one will notice? Why?
 
 
MGM: I'm the introverted type (INFJ, if the Myers-Briggs test I took a decade ago is still accurate), so I tend to shift into listening mode at a party. I'll admit that I have taken option D before - though in my defense it was a party at which I literally knew NO one, so I wasn't abandoning anybody. Otherwise I'd go with B. To paraphrase Kaylee from Firefly, "How will we KNOW it's the refreshment table...unless we question it?"

 
Q3: If you could never write another story or read another book, would you have another creative outlet? Art? Music?
 
 
MGM: AAAHHH!!
AAAAAAHHHH!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
!
 
...Okay, sorry. This is just a hypothetical, isn't it? Calm down, Michael. Breathe. Breathe... (Never write another story? What a cruel thing to say to a writer!) ;) I'm sure I'd have to create in some other fashion. I used to play trumpet in my teenage years, but my embouchure is shot and I've never felt the need to get it back. So art is my likely go-to. I do enjoy futzing around in Photoshop, and I've wondered how I might do if I had some actual artistic training. It would take a lot of practice, though. At the moment I can't even draw a blank. Still, both of my parents paint, so I think I've got the genes in there somewhere. Speaking of painting, can I give a plug to my dad's art site? (http://www.zhibit.org/michaelmunzfineart) We've got different middle names...

Q4: You have no choice but to spend an evening at one of the following events: A) The opera B) The Ballet C) An Andrew Lloyd Webber Musical. Which one, and why?
 
 
MGM: I'd go with C. I've seen opera (one, in college), ballet (The Nutcracker a couple of times as a child), but never anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber. I'm not a big musical fan, but I would like to see The Phantom of the Opera or Les Mis, if given the opportunity.

Q5: *bonus question for everyone* Do you collect anything? If so, why?
 
 
MGM: I used to collect the souls of lost children, but then a FOX Entertainment executive bought me out, so now I mostly just collect ideas.
 
Oh, and Infinity Stones. But I don't have any of those. Yet.
 
~*~
 
That was really fun! Thank you Michael for stopping by to talk with me.
 
You can learn more about Michael and his writing by visiting his website: http://michaelgmunz.com

See you all on Thursday, when my guest will be the one and only, multi-talented Publisher/Author/Editor Craig Hart!