Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Conversation 17: Author Mary Rowen

Welcome to Wednesday, folks! You know what that means, it's time for another Clockwork Conversation!

This week I am happy to welcome author Mary Rowen to the blog!


Please, tell us a little about yourself!

MR: I'm a writer who's lived in New England most of my life, with the notable exception of one year in Europe. Writing has always been something I've loved, even though I took a break from it for a number of years. At the moment, I have two books published with Booktrope, Leaving the Beach and Living by Ear.

Q1: Let's say Hollywood is calling: they want to make a reality show of your life. Who would be the main cast of characters and what would the setting be?

MR: My life wouldn't make a very interesting reality show, I don't think, because I spend a lot of time on the couch with my computer, dog & cat. I guess it would be a low budget show, although we've had to replace the couch a couple of times because the dog chews it up. So there would have to be a budget for new couches. 


Q2: Do you enjoy music? If so, do you have a favorite kind/band/artist?


MR: Yes! I love music. Both of my books have strong music themes, and in some ways, those two books represent the two sides of my musical personality. Living by Ear is about a female musician who's passionate about performing, and although I'm not a very good musician, I have performed in public and really enjoyed the experiences (despite the fact that my audiences may not have)! Leaving the Beach is a much darker story about a bulimic woman obsessed with rock stars. I was bulimic for many years, and the character in that story is a huge music fan, as am I. My favorite styles of music are rock, folk rock, and indie rock. 

Q3: If you had to try one of these challenges, would you rather attempt: A) Swimming the English Channel B) Climbing to the top of Sydney Harbor Bridge or C) Acting as a chaperone on a junior high-school class trip to Walt Disney World?

MR: There's only one viable answer to this question! I'd die of exhaustion trying to swim the English Channel, and probably of fear trying to climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge. (Or maybe I'd just fall off, as I'm really clumsy.) So I'd most definitely take the junior high schoolers to Disney World. When I was in my twenties, I taught middle school English for a number of years, and once chaperoned a trip to NYC. It was exhausting for sure--junior high school kids have a lot of energy--but also really fun, and I think it'd be even more fun to take them to Disney World.

Q4: What life lesson would like to pass on to future generations?

MR: I'd like to tell future generations that the only important thing in life is love. For real. Life is too short to be unkind to people. 

Q5: *bonus question for everyone* Do you collect anything? If so, why?

MR: I don't really collect anything, but if I could, I'd have a lot more dogs and cats. Right now, I only have room in my house (and life) for one of each, but they're very special to me.

Thank you, February!

Thank you, Mary, for stopping by to chat today it was great to get to know a bit about you!

Readers, you can find out more about author Mary Rowen by visiting her site: http://www.maryrowen.com 

See you all next week!